November 17, 2014

How We Work 3

This is the third and last installment in how the artists of California Fibers work: what is their process. Although we were challenged to write it in 10 words or less, some were better at that than others...

VALYA says of her process, "It used to be I believed that pure art comes only from the unconscious mind. I was working spontaneously. No preparation or sketches were needed. Today I believe that the message that the artist presents to the world is the key. Intuition, contemplation, and thoughts work simultaneously to crystallize my ideas. The best time for this is when I am jogging on the beach early in the morning, alone. Having a solo show works the best for me. I love to work with space, to build an exhibition as one body. Unknown territory is exciting and inspiring. I always like to try new things, new materials, new techniques, and new mediums. I like to use new tools for the creation of the main idea."


VALYA, Cell Memories: BABA


Carol Lang says, "I focus on color and materials, looking for shades and hues. Then come shapes with Native American pottery as an influence. I like to recycle and repurpose items I find at garage sales as well as all kinds of natural materials I collect. I think about materials with shape and color, and then the form evolves from a 'start,' which is a specific technique that directs the work." Artists were also asked if they listened to music or anything else while working, and Carol answered, "I often watch Netflix while I work; it relaxes me."


Carol Lang, Remnants

Ellen Phillips responds, "I am most interested in the accidental. I was most excited when materials fell off a shelf in some disarray and I was able to turn them into a piece. The unexpected can push me further and faster at times."

We hope you've enjoyed this insight into our artists working process. We'll continue after our next meeting in January with a discussion of why we picked fiber for our art materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment